Darlingtons Group was formed in 1930 and became a limited company in 1942. Arthur Darlington launched his business using a Ford tipper lorry and several horses. During the war, Darlingtons maintained coal supplies to local hospitals.
Throughout the 1940s and 50s, Darlingtons transport business was transporting products such as coal, timber, animal feeds, oil products and refractory products. In later years, Darlingtons diversified into supplying top soil and other garden products to local houses, hospitals and businesses.
In 1999, the company moved to its present operating site in Eastham, South Wirral. A management buyout was concluded in 2007, when former Operations Manager, Keith Jones, bought the business from John Darlington and Philip Honor.